Shopping Cart
Cart is empty
View cartCheckout »


 

Painting & Weathering

a German Tiger Tank

by: Sven Frisch

 

I haven’t built a Tiger in a while and I always wanted to make a hybrid Tiger like the ones seen in the last stage of the war. This vehicle is basically an early Tiger which has received some updates in the field shops during its long service life. I used the Tamiya early Tiger as a base and also took some parts from the Skybow late Tiger. To add a little more detail I used some photoetched parts from ABER. If the subject is something well known, like a Tiger or Panther, I try to find an interesting camouflage pattern like on this particular model. The following pictures will hopefully display the techniques I used to paint and weather this model. 

1.) As always I started the painting process with priming the model using Mr. Surfacer 1200.

 

2.) Next the base coat was applied. I made sure that I really start with a bright base coat, as the weathering will tone down the basecoat a lot.

 

3.) Then the camouflage was applied. I mixed the green with the base coat at a 3:1 ratio.

 

4.) Now the brown camouflage - mixed at the same ratio as above.

 

5.) The cupola received a different camo style. It could have been replaced during the Tigers long service life. Same with the radio operators hatch.

 

6.) To make things even more confusing, I chose to paint the barrel and the place where the storage box would normally sit, in German grey.

 

7.) Prior the weathering steps I applied a Clear Coat. Shortly after I was done, I noticed that I forgot the Decals.

 

8.) Now the decals are on and I sealed the whole model with satin varnish again.

 

9.) Next I applied a Filter as shown below.

 

10.) While letting the Filter dry, I painted the tracks using Vallejo paints

 

11.) Now I started to blend in different oil paints. This is basically the same method when applying a wash, but I used different paints and also tried to achieve some streaking on the model as well.

 

12.) The next thing I did was some detail painting. The tools and spare tracks received an acrylic base.

 

13.) Then I started with the paint chipping. I used Model Air Colours and a fine 10/0 brush.

 

14.) A close up of the paint chipping.

 

15.) Next I applied another Filter to blend in the chipped paint effects. I used different filters for the barrel, the cupola and the hatch.

 

16.) Then I did a little more work on the tools. They were painted with oils now

 

17.) The next step was to paint the spare tracks with rust coloured Pigments.

 

18.) Now I applied some more light washes as I felt I need to blend in the camo some more.

 

19.) Next I did some varnish weathering. This technique has also been brought to my attention by Adam Wilder. This is a nice technique to contribute contrast between different parts of the model. Note the mate appearance of the commander’s hatch in conjunction with the satin cupola.

 

20.) Then it was time for the pre dusting.

 

21.) Next I applied some MIG Pigments. The Pigments where blended it with Thinner. Later I applied some more dry.

 

22.) Now I decided to create some more rust effects. Again oil paints were used here.

 

23.) Some (fine) splatter effects were created by blowing air through my airbrush on a brush loaded with a mixture of Pigments and mate varnish.

 

24.) Next I painted the outer surface of the steel wheels.

 

25.) Then I drybrushed the outer edges of the tracks a little.

 

26.) One of the last steps is to add some stains and streaks onto the model.

 

27.) Now we are almost there: Some edges were treated with a soft pencil to achieve a worn metal effect.

 

28.) Finally I added some Gunmetal Pigments to the tracks and some Black Smoke Pigments to the exhaust.

 

Thank you for reading this article and happy 48th modelling!

         





 
Copyright © 2008-2014 Track48
Home  |  Privacy statement  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Contact us
xnewspost |